Grades PreK-2: Program Specifics
By implementing Think First & Stay Safe, educators put student personal safety first, where it belongs. Educators, students and parents become unified in their efforts to master essential personal safety skills. School is a safe environment in which to discuss these issues. Teacher-friendly materials and take-home resources make your job easier.
Personal Safety Curriculum for Grades PreK-2
Think First & Stay Safe is an evidenced-based, trauma-informed prevention program that provides children with age-appropriate personal safety education.
The Lesson Plans
The PreK-2 curriculum consists of seven scripted interactive Lesson Plans, which are presented incrementally to build knowledge and understanding and to reinforce safety messages. Each Lesson Plan includes a topic introduction with learning objectives, a quick review of the previous lesson, discussion and interactive classroom activities, take-home handout, lesson recap and positive thinking skill. Lesson Plans:
1. Using Our Built-in Computers: Staying Healthy and Safe
- Using our brain to help stay healthy and safe
- Learning to program our built-in computer
2. People are Like the Weather: Being Kind and Respectful
- There are many ways of showing kindness and respect to others.
- Like the weather, most people are sunny and safe.
3. Child Luring: Telling My Trusted Adults
- Understanding the concept of luring and abuse
- Standing up for safety in an assertive manner and asking a Trusted Adult for help
4. Laws Help Protect Me: My Body Belongs to Me
- Kids have a right to live abuse-free.
- Bullying and harassment are against school rules and the law.
- Bullies and abusers are usually someone we know.
5. All Secrets Can Be Told: Listening to My Instincts
- Inner sirens and how they warn us
- Listening to, following and trusting instincts
- Secrets and why we tell
6. The Kindness of People: Choosing a Grown-up to Help Me
- Most people are kind, caring and protective of children
- Choosing a safe adult to help when needed
7. My Dignity: Bullying and Abuse Are Not My Fault
- Giving and receiving respect
- Bullying and sexual abuse are not the fault of the person they happen to.
- How to seek help in difficult and unsafe situations
- Bullying and abuse can not take away our dignity.
View Sample Scripted Classroom Lesson Plan for PreK-2
View Sample Student Handout for PreK-2
View Full Classroom Poster Series:
- Think First and Stay Safe!
- My Body Belongs to ME!
- All Secrets Can Be Told.
- Stay Three Steps Back.
- Trust Your Gut Feelings.
- There's No Lost Puppy!
- Be Kind Online.
PreK-2 teachers need only teach students the (7) cornerstone Lesson Plans. These form the foundation of personal safety education and contain the essentials of awareness, assertiveness, preparedness, asking for help and disclosure.
- Master personal safety skills, as relates to State and National Health Education Standards
- Increase Self-reliance
- Raise self-esteem
- Understand most people are safe
- Asking for help
(Pre)/K - 2
- Intro/Quick Review
- Learning Objectives
- Discussion/Interactive Learning/(PowerPoint Presentation optional)
- Classroom Activity, age appropriate
- Student Handout for class use and take-home
- Lesson Recap
- Positive Thinking Skills
Expanding the PreK-2 Curriculum: Optional
Depending on the maturity level of your students, you may want to teach some of the Child Lures lesson plans. If so, we recommend choosing from the following Grades 3-4 Lesson Plans: Affection Lure, Assistance Lure, Pet Lure, Authority Lure, Bribery Lure (includes expanded sections on secrets), Fun & Games Lure, Hero Lure, Name Lure and Friendship Lure.
Evaluating Your Program (Pre/Post Tests Included)
A PreK-2 Pre and Post Student Evaluation is provided to formally gauge student progress and retention of the Think First & Stay Safe concepts and prevention strategies. Prior to program presentation, the Student Evaluation can be administered as at Pre-Test. It can also be administered following completion of the program as a Post-Test.
The evaluation may be administered verbally or in writing, depending on students' abilities.
Think First & Stay Safe staff support coordinators are here to answer questions and provide assistance during program implementation and/or Pre/Post Evaluation of the program. Please call 1-800-552-2197, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, EST.
In addition to the program's Child-Serving Adult Training Modules (7), and Parent/Guardian Training Modules (3), optional In-Service Training Seminars are available for an additional fee. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-552-2197.
The Educational Goals are:
- To establish an understanding that the vast majority of people are decent, caring individuals who are protective of children.
- To assure students that bullying, sexual abuse and harassment are against the law, and that laws exist to protect their safety.
- To advise students that they have rights too, including a right to live free of abuse.
- To encourage students to rely on a combination of skills learned, critical thinking and instincts to help ensure their personal safety.
- To nurture each youngster's sense of individual worth and urge them to recognize and respect the worth of others.
- To promote disclosure of any type of threat to a youngster's safety.
- To assure youngsters with thoughts of abusing others that help is available.
- To reduce the feelings of guilt and blame often felt by children who are bullied or abused.
- To encourage parents to take an active role in the personal safety education of their children.
- To strive for kinder, more tolerant thoughts and actions, in an effort to lower the incidence of all forms of aggressive behavior.
E-MAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND